
Well,
So much is going on....where to begin? First of all, thanks to all of you fellow bloggers who through your own blogs inspired me to start blogging. I thoroughly enjoy keeping up with you and your families by reading your blogs. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience reading ours. For at least the next 6 months, I will probably talk about Kevin more than anything since he's at the front of my thoughts. As most or all of you know, Kevin deployed to Iraq 16 October, 2007. What most of you don't know is that he's wanted to do this for the last 16+ years.
When Kevin and I first started dating, one of our first dates was to dinner in Salt Lake City. We were walking around when we saw some protest activity going on and listened in to see what it was all about. Some guys were bashing the troops that were in Iraq (Round One of our occupation--this was 1991). Kevin and I both feel strongly that whether or not someone opposes our presence in Iraq, that the troops deserve the support and backing of the people of the United States.
We followed those who were in support of our troops up to the Salt Lake Capitol Building. We ended up on the steps in a modest sized group singing patriotic hymns. Both Kevin and I were touched by the patriotism we felt. Kevin then told me if he weren't a student at the time, he'd sign right up and go to Iraq.
Four years after we were married, Kevin was in his second year of Law School when it became time to begin "interviewing." He had lots of interviews--some just to get interviewing experience and some for firms he'd hoped to have a shot at. He also interviewed with the Army Jag and Air Force Jag. As a matter of fact, the Air Force Jag recruiter was a gentleman who was in Kent and Sue's ward at the time.
The first two (and at that time only two) job offers came from the Jag Corps. The smaller firms wouldn't know their needs until closer to graduation. Here we are with two little ones, student loans, and some decisions to make. Kevin having grown up a AF dependent thought he'd be happy commiting to four years and if he liked it he'd stay in and if he didn't then he at least served his country and would move on to other things.
We did our four years and, as luck would have it, our second assignment was at Hill. We thought for sure we'd get out. We'd just done a 2+ year tour in Louisiana. I wasn't sold on the whole AF experience...mostly being far from both of our extended families, and he was a small fish in a big pond, and I always feared he'd deploy.
We got to Hill and Kevin shopped the job market a little. Mostly talking to fellow Law Students and seeing how their careers in Utah were going. The general concensus was that Kevin had the better job both schedule wise and money wise. Kevin also began to "crossover"--This is when you become more of a military officer than you do an attorney (or whatever your career might be.)
I knew he loved what he did and decided to support him in that even though I wasn't sold yet. After our journey to Germany--I was sold! We had such great experiences in Germany. First, it was wonderful being stationed there with Kim, Becky, and their kids. We all lived on the same block..walking distance. We did a ton a traveling that we otherwise would never had been able to do. Others benefited too coming and visiting from the states. We did lots of volunteer service which furthered our love of serving our country.
Our fondest memory of serving others is from a Christmas Day we had in Germany. Kev, the kids, and I spent Christmas morning at the Rhein-Main terminal helping the USO. A couple planes were coming through en route to Iraq. We were the stop off point between the states and Iraq. We served a breakfast of Turkey dinner to hungry young men and women. We handed out calling cards and watched teenagers rush to the phones to call home. My children were touched by the fact these troops weren't much older than they were. Some looked tired--some nervous. We felt a love for every one of them that got off that plane and knew some might never return home.
I'm glad my kids saw "sacrifice" that day. Sure they delayed the opening of their gifts by a few hours, but they knew that was nothing compared to the sacrifices to be made by the troops. As we prepared for Kevin's departure--5 months knowing , just too long...we remembered what we all felt that day and have an extra measure of love for Kevin for the service and sacrifice he is giving.
The kids and I are so proud of Kevin. Sure we miss him. Sure seeing him leave was momentarily devastating...but, the kids and I realize we have each other to get through this. Kevin's alone other than whatever correspondence he receives from us and all of you.
Now that I've written a HUGE opening to my blog, I will end with attaching a picture Kevin had made just before he left. We have it up on a table in our living room. That's where we have family scripture study and family prayer. It's nice to feel Kevin's there with us during both.
We love all of you and appreciate your support and prayers through this time.
Let me know if you want Kevin's contact info and I'll email it to you personally.
Take Care and I promise my next entry won't be as long.
-Michelle
So much is going on....where to begin? First of all, thanks to all of you fellow bloggers who through your own blogs inspired me to start blogging. I thoroughly enjoy keeping up with you and your families by reading your blogs. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience reading ours. For at least the next 6 months, I will probably talk about Kevin more than anything since he's at the front of my thoughts. As most or all of you know, Kevin deployed to Iraq 16 October, 2007. What most of you don't know is that he's wanted to do this for the last 16+ years.
When Kevin and I first started dating, one of our first dates was to dinner in Salt Lake City. We were walking around when we saw some protest activity going on and listened in to see what it was all about. Some guys were bashing the troops that were in Iraq (Round One of our occupation--this was 1991). Kevin and I both feel strongly that whether or not someone opposes our presence in Iraq, that the troops deserve the support and backing of the people of the United States.
We followed those who were in support of our troops up to the Salt Lake Capitol Building. We ended up on the steps in a modest sized group singing patriotic hymns. Both Kevin and I were touched by the patriotism we felt. Kevin then told me if he weren't a student at the time, he'd sign right up and go to Iraq.
Four years after we were married, Kevin was in his second year of Law School when it became time to begin "interviewing." He had lots of interviews--some just to get interviewing experience and some for firms he'd hoped to have a shot at. He also interviewed with the Army Jag and Air Force Jag. As a matter of fact, the Air Force Jag recruiter was a gentleman who was in Kent and Sue's ward at the time.
The first two (and at that time only two) job offers came from the Jag Corps. The smaller firms wouldn't know their needs until closer to graduation. Here we are with two little ones, student loans, and some decisions to make. Kevin having grown up a AF dependent thought he'd be happy commiting to four years and if he liked it he'd stay in and if he didn't then he at least served his country and would move on to other things.
We did our four years and, as luck would have it, our second assignment was at Hill. We thought for sure we'd get out. We'd just done a 2+ year tour in Louisiana. I wasn't sold on the whole AF experience...mostly being far from both of our extended families, and he was a small fish in a big pond, and I always feared he'd deploy.
We got to Hill and Kevin shopped the job market a little. Mostly talking to fellow Law Students and seeing how their careers in Utah were going. The general concensus was that Kevin had the better job both schedule wise and money wise. Kevin also began to "crossover"--This is when you become more of a military officer than you do an attorney (or whatever your career might be.)
I knew he loved what he did and decided to support him in that even though I wasn't sold yet. After our journey to Germany--I was sold! We had such great experiences in Germany. First, it was wonderful being stationed there with Kim, Becky, and their kids. We all lived on the same block..walking distance. We did a ton a traveling that we otherwise would never had been able to do. Others benefited too coming and visiting from the states. We did lots of volunteer service which furthered our love of serving our country.
Our fondest memory of serving others is from a Christmas Day we had in Germany. Kev, the kids, and I spent Christmas morning at the Rhein-Main terminal helping the USO. A couple planes were coming through en route to Iraq. We were the stop off point between the states and Iraq. We served a breakfast of Turkey dinner to hungry young men and women. We handed out calling cards and watched teenagers rush to the phones to call home. My children were touched by the fact these troops weren't much older than they were. Some looked tired--some nervous. We felt a love for every one of them that got off that plane and knew some might never return home.
I'm glad my kids saw "sacrifice" that day. Sure they delayed the opening of their gifts by a few hours, but they knew that was nothing compared to the sacrifices to be made by the troops. As we prepared for Kevin's departure--5 months knowing , just too long...we remembered what we all felt that day and have an extra measure of love for Kevin for the service and sacrifice he is giving.
The kids and I are so proud of Kevin. Sure we miss him. Sure seeing him leave was momentarily devastating...but, the kids and I realize we have each other to get through this. Kevin's alone other than whatever correspondence he receives from us and all of you.
Now that I've written a HUGE opening to my blog, I will end with attaching a picture Kevin had made just before he left. We have it up on a table in our living room. That's where we have family scripture study and family prayer. It's nice to feel Kevin's there with us during both.
We love all of you and appreciate your support and prayers through this time.
Let me know if you want Kevin's contact info and I'll email it to you personally.
Take Care and I promise my next entry won't be as long.
-Michelle
3 comments:
It brought a serious tear to my eyes. You guys are so lucky you have such a dear dad/husband and he is lucky he and the kids have you my dear daughter! Mom X
Michelle, you are so incredibly blessed... you always have been, to have such an amazing husband and kids. I'm proud of Kevin too. I tell my friends/co-workers/customers all the time that I have a brother-in-law in Iraq who's serving our country. Its interesting to see people's responses to this.... some are pro and some very anti war. I think its wonderful that Kevin is brave enough and self-sacrificing enough to be willing to help others. I'm also glad that our sister is there with you. It will be good to have each other around. Lots of love, Tania :)
Hey Michelle,
It's Been Awhile, Glad To hear You All Are Doing Okay, Am Sorry To Hear That Cousine Kevin Was Sent To Iraq, Will Keep Him And You In my Prayers, I Dont Have Much Of A GOOGLE Account But You Can Find Me On Myspace.com Under Profile name, FREELANCE TREASURE. Since Grandpa's Funeral I Have Moved On From Studying Shipwrecks Into "LOOKING FOR THEM:, its been Pretty Busy lately, But Anyhow I Hope You Guys Are Doing Well, I'm So Glad I Got To hear From You Again, Say Hi To Everyone For Me, God Bless You All!!
Matthew R. Smathers
Post a Comment